Thursday, March 9, 2017

Salvia greggii 'Crimson and Black'


               Salvia greggii 'Crimson and Black'
The greggii salvias grow from a central stem with branches topped with flowers emerging from quite low down. Herein lies a problem, as some of the bigger nectar feeding birds such as Wattle birds are liable to snap off the somewhat brittle stems during their quest for food. 
Several weeks ago I sheared off all the flowers from this batch to stop the bird damage but to no avail as the flowers reappeared in no time.
This crimson and black flowered variety is quite a striking colour combination and really stands out in a garden. The shrub grows to about 60cm and is hardy over a range of conditions and climates.

 

3 comments:

  1. Love salvia. Ian, have you stopped doing Instagram? Was starting to think you'd disappeared until I realised you're back blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy, I have been having a break from Instagram after feeling like a mouse on a treadmill.Will get back to it one of these days. I quite like blogger as it is nice and quiet and more like a diary. Have been back over all my posts editing and updating stuff.Thanks for your comment cheers Ian

      Delete
    2. You're certainly missed on Instagram but I think I know what you mean. I have been very slack with the blogging but actually did 2 posts in 1 week this time. Maybe I'll get back into it too. A phase I'm going through maybe. Cheers.

      Delete