Sunday, August 25, 2013

Geranium x monacense 'Muldoon'



Geranium x maonacense 'Muldoon'
Not another 'bloody cranesbill' I hear you say; to use a really bad horticultural pun. I have been growing this geranium for about a year and this is the first time I have had flowers from it. I have to admit to being a bit underwhelmed by the flower colour which could be described as a muddy purple, though the centre white circle does bring it to life somewhat. I 'photoshopped' the colour to make it more of a cerise pink so you will have to take my word for it. This plant is a hybrid between G. phaeum and G. reflexum ,so has the tall wispy flower stem of the former and the reflexed petals of the latter. It is an absolute shade lover and only flowers in spring and early summer. By mid summer expect it to look a bit scruffy, as mine did last year, so perhaps this one is really more suited to a fairly cool temperate climate. The lobed leaves have an interesting purple black mark on their edge and mine is showing a bit of white variegation though this may disappear over time. 
 I can only really muster faint praise for this Geranium as it has little to offer compared to varieties such as G 'Khan' or G 'Rozanne' with their showy cupped flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment