Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ginger Harvest

Freshly dug Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
I planted ginger rhizomes last September and though they were slow to shoot at first, they grew at an incredible rate over summer. They are now ready to be dug as the green tops are just starting to die down. I am leaving some of the clumps in the ground and laying off on the watering so the plants don't rot if we get a really cold wet winter. The ginger left in the ground will be dug towards the end of the year so that the young pink tender rhizomes can be harvested.The young ginger is my favourite sort as the skin peels off easily and the flavour is not as strong. With this harvest I am going to freeze some and the rest I am going to peel and cut into knobs, place them in a jar and cover with dry sherry or Shao Xing Hua Diao wine which will keep it fresh for weeks.

2 comments: