Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Spring flowering succulents

Echeveria in flower now

Yesterday I planted out a new stock garden of succulents from which I hope to take cuttings to use as propagation material. However last night and this morning we had another deluge of rain with some 60mm falling. I incorporated lots of sand and grit into the bed before planting into what was fairly moisture retentive soil so here is hoping that they survive and thrive. The Echeverias send up a flower spike at this time of year which looks quite decorative but they are like a mecca for aphids which love to cluster around the unopened flowers or all along the stem.The insects like the soft stems which are easily pierced with their mouth parts to suck the sap.Using a spray to kill the insects also removes the lovely grey or white "bloom" over the succulent leaves so I don't spray but just remove the flowering stems and bin them.



1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. I planted some beans seeds yesteday, and it rained thoughout the night:(

    ReplyDelete