Friday, February 19, 2010

Angelonia angustifolia, Angel Face


Angelonia angustifolia, Angel Face
Driving to Sydney this morning I saw pots of these late summer flowers lined up outside a Nursery. This perennial is sometimes given the common name of Angel Face or even Summer Snapdragon. I have grown it in the past but because of its tropical origin it can be difficult to keep going over winter in the cold and damp. It is native to Mexico, South America and the West Indies and has been much hybridized by plant breeders to produce a range of colour forms in blue, pink, purple and white as well as bi-colours. Because it has a long flowering season it is a good container plant on a sunny balcony or in a decorative pot in a courtyard. Growing to about 35cm, it can be used as a centre-piece to lower growing Petunias or Phlox. I file it under instant colour makeover plant as it will provide instant cheer if you want to do the garden for a party. It is hardy with low water requirements as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ian! You beat me to it! I was just planning to do a post on Angelonia. I learnt some new things from your post. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete